This word also comes from the movie Y tu mamá también. It’s actually a quite popular word among youngsters in Mexico. Well, not only in Mexico, rather in many parts of Latin-America.

It was the first time I heard pendejo; in Spain most people just use gilipollas (a word that’s pretty much not used at all outside the Peninsula). So what does pendejo mean? Personally, I thought it was pretty offensive at first, but it’s not. Sure, it’s used to call someone names, but it’s not vulgar or something.

Literally pendejo means “pubic hair”, but it’s mainly used to describe people that are “sly”, “dumb”, a “nerd” or sometimes even a “coward”. Like I said, it’s used to offend people but it’s not really shocking if you decide to use it.

Sentences

El pendejo huyó corriendo.
The coward fled, running.

Spanish Word of the Day: lío
Spanish Word of the Day: cagar (2)
Spanish Word of the Day: gozar
Spanish Word of the Day: onda
Spanish Word of the Day: guay

{ 1 trackback }

El Bachelor es un Gran Pendejo and We Can’t Stop Watching | Chronicles of a 40-something Former Nurse Wannabe
February 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Graham March 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm

«Literally pendejo means “sly”»

Actually, literally it means pubic hair.

Ramses March 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Really? LOL Will dig a bit further :P .

Edit: You’re right, but it’s not often used in that sense.

Ben March 21, 2009 at 1:57 am

I’ve noticed that my friends from Mexico say this word a LOT. They’ll usually use it when they’re joking around with someone, but not in a mean way, more just playful.

Atomsuku March 23, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Another meaning for this word is “kid” or “immature”.

Danny March 23, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Careful with the word. It’s not a matter of what it literally means, but rather how we, native speakers, use it. It’s the sense, intention, motive. You forgot you should also consider who says it, where, why, how, under what circumstances to grasp a better meaning (and intention) of the expression. Joking around with the word among friends is possible, but I would think about it twice before recommending you use it. It still is an offensive expression. It has discriminatory and pejorative connotations.

Danny March 23, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Oh, and by the way, if any native speaker hears a foreigner speaking that way, you will very probably be seen as disrespectful or otherwise, vulgar. Let me share a secret about many of my fellow native speakers: when they hear a foreigner speaking with bad words, they find it amusing to hear their pronunciation and unnatural usage of such expressions. Bad language has a strong emotional (and cultural) discharge which stems deep in the psyche of native speakers of any language.

Ramses March 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm

@Danny; you’re right, but isn’t this with every word? Also, it’s not used that much in Spain, so it also depends from region to region.

About non-native speakers using slang in their speech: there’s nothing wrong with that. Yes, people laughed at me because I use slang often (not only in Spanish, also in Dutch and English) because they find it plain weird hearing a foreigner using it. It’s not even that it sounds unnatural when I use it, it’s just that they don’t expect it. I’d say: know when to use slang and use it if you like. I mean, this blog is all about getting fluent and slang and idioms is a great deal of being fluent.

Danny March 23, 2009 at 7:43 pm

You are right, but don’t forget that fluency is not only lexical, it’s also suprasegmental: intonation, rhythm, stress.

Danny March 23, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Oh, one more thing. You are right when you say “know when to use it”; however, that sentence implies a lot of assumptions. Using slang is ok, using bad language is a different thing. I repeat it carries sociocultural implications. In other words, at least for many of my fellow Mexicans, being insulted in Spanish by a native is aggressive; being insulted by a non-native speaker (either accidentally or intentionally) is even worse. Culture and language are embedded.

Ramses March 23, 2009 at 7:47 pm

True, but I’ve written countless times about that (oh, well, maybe not :-) . Nice idea then for a new article).

attorney Zegas March 24, 2014 at 3:29 am

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a
few months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any
solutions to prevent hackers?

Franklin April 13, 2014 at 7:07 am

Thanks for some other fantastic article. The plce else could anyboody get
that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing?
I’ve a prexentation next week, and I am oon the look
for such info.

Geneva April 15, 2014 at 6:29 am

Thanks for finally talking about >Spanish Word

of the Day: pendejo | Spanish Only <Liked it!

email marketing solutions April 25, 2014 at 5:25 am

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am actually impressed to read all at alone
place.