People love lists, that’s a fact. So much even that they asked me to give them more stuff to work with, more native materials. What?! Me?! Appearently, people like what I digg, and that’s good. Because I love the real deal, the real McCoy, only real Spanish materials. In fact, I love Spanish stuff so much that I decided to share some of my favorite music with you. First episode: rap music.

Simply put, I love hip-hip and rap, it’s what I listen to about 6 to 7 hours a day (no, I’m not kidding). I do listen some other music, but Spanish rap and hip-hop just made me into a more Spanish person (in the sense of that I can cope better with fast-pace Spanish and have a better overall comprehension). That’s why I compiled a list of my favorite cd’s of my favorite artists. Because I’m a capitalist at times I added the Amazon link right away (don’t worry; all earnings will go back to this blog for its improvement).

Enjoy the list and the music (*do* listen to the samples)!

*Note: This is Castillian hip-hop, so from Spain. Expect lots of distinción and Castillian words.

7 Notas 7 Colores – Hecho, Es Simple
One of the first – if not the first – albums I could get my hands on. Spanish music was totally new to me and I wanted to listen hip-hop. Laid back, not to hard but still with some decent rapping, hip-hop. It was what I was looking for for weeks. Pure gold for the hip-hop lovin’ beginner!

Last.fm page

La Excepción – Aguantando el Tiron
If you live in Spain, you probably know these guys. Like Frank T (look further down) they’re from Madrid and tend to put quite some jerga madrileña in their songs. They don’t take themselves all too serious, which is quite refreshing (especially if you’re used to American rap). Still, they do have lyrics to make people aware of things.

Last.fm page

Cres – Reflexiones
I love this guy. No, I really do. Clear lyrics, real slang, some English now and then (normally I don’t like English because of the immersion, but he makes things a lot clearer with it). Comes from Alicante (must be good then, yeah!) and lived/studied some years in the U.S., therefore not only rapping about Spanish things but has a more international view. Cres released another cd in 2005 (this one is from 2007) called La Reconkista but it contains quite some English.

SFDK – Siempre Fuertes
Hip-hop group from Sevilla. They’ve been active quite some years and make pretty good rap. The only downside (if you want to call it a downside) is that they use quite some slang, are seseo and pronounce the jota as an h. For the rest they work together with quite some other rap artists from Sevilla and the rest of Andalucía, so if you’re after real Andalucian Spanish these are the guys to go with.

SFDK – Los Veteranos
Another album of SFDK (one of the many). A bit other style than the earlier one (Siempre Fuertes) and perfect stuff if you want to relax and don’t want to think too much.

Last.fm page

Frank T – Los Pájaros No Pueden Vivir en el Agua
Originally from Congo, Frank T could be called one of fathers of Castillian hip-hop. I just got this album as I normally get new albums first of artists I just know. Before I’ve been listening to his other albums for some weeks, which is great as well. On this album he tries to make people aware of the troubles in Africa and how most people in America and Europe tend to close their eyes for this. The main reason why Frank T is one of my favorate rappers is because he has just such a clear voice. Even beginners of Spanish will understand his lyrics pretty soon. Also, where lots of rappers nowadays usually rap about the less important things in life, Frank T didn’t forget where he’s from and with what problems others struggle.

If you want to go for rap madrileño, go for Frank T!

Last.fm page

That’s the first part, more to come.

P.S. Any additions are always welcome. And if you don’t like rap and want your favorite genre getting some attention; send in suggestions.

The importance of liking your music
Do things the Spanish way: blogs

Peter November 7, 2008 at 5:28 pm

How about metal? =)

Peter’s last blog post..Recovering from a period of demotivation

Ramses November 7, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Hehe, I’m not into metal. But if you (or someone else) has suggestions, I’ll compile a list.

javier garcia November 20, 2008 at 10:18 am

I recommend you Doble V ( or Violadores del Verso), those are from Zaragoza and they’re really good

Americano October 7, 2009 at 2:53 am

Rata Blanca – Argentine heavy metal

Aztecas Tupro – Uruguayan alternative rock/reggae

Damas Gratis/Altos Cumbieros/El Empuje – Cumbia Villera

Fidel Nadal – reggae

Wisin & Yandel – reggaeton

Steve April 15, 2010 at 2:43 am

Great website, Ramses. Very cool. I dig your style and passion. I love rap, too, and have been looking for some decent Mexican or Latin American hip-hop but haven't had much success. I prefer so-called conscious/social hip-hop but I'll listen to gangster/narco as a last resort if it's got sick beats and good flow. Does anyone have any advice on this? (I realize this thread is a bit old.) Is there any good Mexican hip-hop? I'm having a tough time finding anything. I love Cafe Tacuba, so somewhat experimental is definitely OK with me.

Tyler April 15, 2010 at 4:48 am

I'm not too knowledgeable on rap or hip-hop in Spanish, but Control Machete (Mexico) is pretty good in my opinion. Violadores del Verso, Tote King and Porta are all from Spain and are fairly good.

There's also Calle 13 (which I guess you could consider hip-hop to some degree, though it also has reggaeton influences) from Puerto Rico. Their lyrics are quite clever when compared to the majority of popular music out there.

As for alternative and rock, I can give a few more recommendations.

Since you said you liked Café Tacuba, you might also like Zoé (sort of alternative "space" rock).

Here are some more:

Soda Stereo – 80s band from Argentina, extremely well known, rock/pop

Gustavo Cerati – Soda Stereo´s vocalist, sort of electronic, rock, acoustic

Hello Seahorse! – Mexican alternative, "trip-happy-pop"

Babasónicos – Argentinian alternative rock, highly recommended

Bengala – Mexican alternative rock, relatively new band but good nonetheless

Enjambre – Mexican alternative

Inmigrantes – Argentinian acoustic, rock

La Ley – One of Chile's most popular rock bands (no longer together)

Miranda! – Argentinian, "pop dramático", very, very catchy

Porter – Mexican alternative group, now defunct, quite out there musically

Hope that helps.

alejeather April 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I'm not typically into hip-hop but I have really been enjoying music by the Cuban group Orishas recently. I think, however, that they use a lot of words and expressions that are specific to Cuba. Anyway, I would recommend it.

David April 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

It isn't rap, but…. OK, it isn't even close to rap, it is country but still wanted to comment on singer Shawn Kiehne, aka El Gringo. He is an excellent example of success with learning Spanish by listening, not by attending classes or spending years studying grammar. You can read about him at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/arts/music/20ku… He worked on a farm in El Paso, Texas and learned Spanish by working with the Mexican farm hands, and listening to the radio. I think he is a real inspiration and demonstrates first hand how one can learn a second language by following Ramses methods of listening.

Luke December 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

¡Hola! Thanks for list, listening to them now!

I'm seconding Tyler, Control Machete are good

If you like Cypress Hill they have an album out in which they translated all their top hits into spanish "Cypress Hill – Los Grandes Exitos En Español"

Ramses December 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I always only listened to hip hop from Spain in the past, but Control Machete have some really nice songs. Thanks for suggesting them :-) .

And I actually have that Cypress Hill cd, but as I already know most songs in English, they quickly grow old.

Thanks for commenting, Luke!

Karlos April 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm

What about Mala Rodríguez and/or Kultama?

Mala Rodríguez – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fz6MdEYlpQ
Kultama – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDJg8PJxJlc

Calle 13 is pretty dec (dēs, i.e. decent) too, if you want Puerto Rican rap.

makebeatsfast.Com March 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

Things may have been different a few decades back when there was no internet or software to create music,
but now we have everything we need to create. After all yow will discover the odd fun flash program,
although in case you are looking to make the type of beats the you hear
in your favorite tunes you then want the best instruments over the job.